Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Your Cowboy Hat

I found myself this evening, late evening, tryin' to find the correct time in which you were to switch from the felt to the straw and also the dark cowboy hat to the light. But it appears to me everyone has their own opinion of the idea, and quite literally I mean everyone. So I came across this discussion on American Cowboy, as in the magazine, and I just thought I might share a few of my finds with you.

Source: Baskins

What most call traditional is...
Straw after Memorial Day
Felt after Labor Day
or...
Straw after Easter
Felt after Labor Day

Or closely related to traditional is...
Straw: April 1 - September 30
Felt: October 1 - March 31

More generically though...
Straw: summer/spring
Felt: winter/fall

Or another generic way...
Straw: summer
Felt: spring/fall/winter

And others still...
Felt: all year round
Straw: all year round

Some clips I found from the discussion, that I thought displayed the true cowboy and cowgirl heart.  (Please note I corrected grammar and punctuation in these).
"Paula: I have a confession to make. I am not a cowgirl. I am an Eastern urban/tenderfoot/dudette who's been on a horse ONCE. (It did not go well, I was terrified.) I have never owned a cowboy hat -- until now. When I went to Oklahoma earlier this month my friend from there greeted me at the Tulsa airport with a black felt Stetson hat. (What a gift!) It is my favorite present EVER. I don't wear it in public because a). I don't feel I have the right to wear it, b). nobody around here wears cowboy hats, and c). I look silly in hats, even a gorgeous black felt Stetson. (I sometimes wear it inside the house just for the thrill.) But to answer the question, I think if I were a working cowgirl, the black felt would definitely be a winter hat, and I'd want a light-colored straw one for hot weather."
"Cimarron: Hi Miss Paula, to respond to your statement about hats. I'm from the Texas panhandle. I've cowboyed, and worked feedlots riding pens. Cowboys are as different as night/day even though we have one goal/job. Each [cowboy] wears what/when he wants. Some wear ball caps and some hats, and it may surprise ya'll to find out some wear nothing at all. My personal preference is black felt year round. As far as wearing your hat, I've driven this country from border to border, coast to coast, and back again. If you get the chance drive down to New Jersey around the Vineland/Millville area, I think you'll be surprised at what you find. In the mean time learn what the term "cowboy" really means, its principles, not backing down, standing up for yourself, siding your friends, and having your word/name stand for something. Do that and then put your hat on. Wear it straight, wear it low, wear it with pride."
"Kansas Jack: Paula, a western hat is a state of mind. Get yourself dressed up in jeans (some of those neat ones that gals find with no wrinkles), a nice Western shirt, and some boots, and live a few hours with the joy and freedom that comes from living where life is free and not governed by what others think. Be a leader, not a follower. You'll be happier for it [freedom]. AND, I'll bet the next time out you'll find that you ARE the leader and others will be following your lead."

source: zazzle.com

"It depends on what part of these here United States your standing on." Please enjoy a moment and say that in Jesse Duke's respected voice. It really does depend though. If you live where it is hot to mildly warm all year round of course your not going to wear your felt cowboy hat from Labor Day to December to Easter, that would be insane. If you live in the Midwest or Montana where it snows your going to be wearing your felt hat a lot longer than you would in Texas. Tradition can't really be stated for the entirty of the United States. You could have traditional time in a state or region but even that isn't an accurate guess as everyone has different types of jobs.

If you would like to see this discussion for yourself visit: American Cowboy - Straw or Felt Cowboy Hat?

No comments:

Post a Comment